A little while ago, I ran across this show, revision3, and I thought - I have a few (actually 3) cases with various really old technology inside. I'm talking IDE disk drives here. I can use this idea from revision3, and taking a step in that direction, put modern technology inside an old skin. After all, I don't really care what the outside looks like, what's important is that the stupid thing runs; and runs faster than the last PC I bought (for a bit more money, by the way).
Then my son's PC died and rather than go out and buy something new, I encouraged him to go along with me on this adventure...
Here is what I bought (right from Amazon) shipped right to my door.
- Intel Pentium Processor G3220 3.0 GHz LGA 1150
- ECS Elitegroup Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard
H81H3-M4 (1.0A) used $34.99
- Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s
NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003 $53.99
- Kingston Value RAM 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3
Non-ECC CL11 DIMM SR x8 Desktop Memory (KVR16N11S8/4) $39.74
- EVGA 430W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply
- Total: $222.70